Thermal control of space products is an extreme challenge. Our know-how and experience helps to find the right thermal design.
We work according to stringent requirements of european space standards ECSS-E-ST-31C, ECSS-E-HB-31-01 and ECSS-E-HB-31-03A. For thermal analysis we use state-of-the-art software suites such as ESATAN-TMS®, THERMICA® and Thermal Desktop®.
Thermal modelling and analysis
- Modelling based on CAD design data (GMM)
- Problem-adapted discretisation
- Consideration of all relevant boundary conditions (radiative, conductive - TMM)
- Consideration of thermo-optical properties (TMM), beginning of life / end of life
- Steady state heat flow analysis
- Transient heat flow analysis
- Definition of required radiator areas
- Definition of required heater power and locations
- Efficient analysis of all possible orbits and spacecraft configurations
- Selection of appropriate thermal control hardware items:
- Single- or Multi-Layer-Insulation (SLI/MLI)
- Heaters and associated power
- Heat straps
- Thermal interface filler (e.g. Sigraflex®)
- Surface coatings (OSR, black/white paint, etc.)
- Optimisation of thermal control systems
Space Structures has successfully performed thermal simulations ranging from electronic equipment all the way up to complete large satellites for missions throughout the solar system!